Pages

Pumpkin Craft Time! {Little Ones Learning}

Thursday, October 24, 2013

A pumpkin unit wouldn't be complete without some fun pumpkin crafts.  I am very practical when it comes to crafts.  I like things that can be used for something, so I love that all of the pumpkin crafts in this post can be put to good use as decorations for Halloween and Thanksgiving.  

Stained glass pumpkin




I adapted this craft from some other examples I've seen for different holidays.  It is a simple craft, but it is probably best for kids ages 3 and up.  If you use contact paper instead of glue and wax paper, it could work for some younger children, as well.


You will need:

  • wax paper
  • tape
  • Elmer's glue
  • scissors
  • paint brush
  • permanent marker
  • orange tissue paper cut into squares

    *I used two different colors of orange tissue paper.  When I cut them, I first cut them into 1-inch long strips.  I didn't want the shapes to be all perfect squares, so I cut them a little sloppy to make different sized squares and rectangles.

    Here is how to make your stained glass pumpkin:

    1.  Tape a sheet of wax paper to the table.

    2.  Using the permanent marker, draw a pumpkin shape. Grace (4) was doing this project, and she had a little trouble sticking with it long enough to finish this large pumpkin.  For some children, a smaller pumpkin or a few smaller pumpkins might be best.

    3.  Put some Elmer's glue in a dish and mix in a small amount of water.  You want it a little runnier than normal, but not watery.



    4.  Using the paint brush, brush some glue onto your pumpkin shape.  It will bead up, but that is ok.

    5.  Place the tissue paper shapes onto the glue.  Continue covering the rest of the shape.  You can go over the line of your pumpkin with your tissue paper because it will be cut off later.  




    6.  As you go, brush glue over your tissue paper pieces to flatten them down.  The glue acts as a finish and will dry clear.


    7.  Let the glue dry.  Then cut out the pumpkin shape, and put up to a window to catch the sun.


    Here is Grace's finished pumpkin.  She was very proud of it, and I think it makes for a cute little decoration.

    Below are some other fun pumpkin crafts that I found in my searches that would be great for toddlers and preschoolers.  


    Paper Plate Pumpkin 
    Muffin Tin Mom
    Pumpkin Craft for Kids
    Cardboard Tube Pumpkin 
    Lifetime Moms

    Pumpkin Mache 
    Loving My Nest
    Knuckle Print Pumpkins 
    Mom Trusted
    Pumpkin Garland
    Right Start Blog
    I hope you found something that you little kiddos will enjoy!  Have fun crafting!
    - Jessica

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS