Pages

Day Trip: Sharp's Farm

Friday, September 20, 2013

If you live in Maryland, you have probably visited one of the charming local farms found throughout our state.  You may or may not have been to one of my fall favorites: Sharp's at Waterford Farm in western Howard County.  It's open for fall starting next weekend (September 28) from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.  


Sharp's Farm is my favorite farm to go to in the fall for pick-your-own pumpkins and here's why:



1.  It's CHEAP 


It is FREE to enter the farm, FREE to park, FREE to see the farm animals, and FREE to go on a hayride to the pumpkin field.  All you pay for is the pumpkin that you picked, any additional activities, or anything you might want to buy from the awesome country store in the old red barn.




2.  It's old school.


Unlike some of the other farms with fall festivals and events, Sharp's Farm's fall season is low-key; There isn't a cow train, jumping pillow, or giant slide (which, don't get me wrong, are A LOT of fun).  It reminds me more of a real-life farm with a pond, cows, pigs, goats, chickens, rabbits, corn fields, tractors, and old barns.





3.  It's got a great little country store.

In the big, old red barn you'll find all kinds of great stuff for sale from Sharp's and other local farms.  There are foods, like apples, squash, honey, apple and pumpkin butter, apple cider, marinades, and baked goods.  They also sell fall flowers, Indian corn, gourds, hay bales, corn stalks, and other fall decorations.  And it's just super cute!




4.  It has special open houses.


These open house programs teach kids about farming or pilgrim history, and they take place during weekdays that schools are closed.  There is a cost of $7 for the kids and no cost for adults.  These programs sound just like the field trip that Grace and I went on last year with her preschool.  We picked a pumpkin, went on a special hayride that went through a stream, picked some cotton and Indian corn.  All very cool!  We are going to try to wrangle the kids to do this one time this fall.

We have been to Sharp's Farm several times and have always enjoyed it!  I love taking a little drive out to the country.  

Here are some awesome pics from past visits.







This cracks me up!: 


Grace at 1 1/2 and 3 1/2

Now I know this sounds like an advertisement for Sharp's Farm, but really I just genuinely love this place.  Hey, if you go you can always do a scavenger hunt!  Maybe I'll see you there!  

Thanks for stopping by and God bless!
- Jessica

Here is a great find from my friend Crystal: $7 for hayride, pumpkin, corn, and campfire at Sharp's Farm!  Limited time only.








2 comments:

  1. Apples and farms, oh I miss Maryland! They don't really do that in our area. When Elise and I have our October visit I'll have to plan extra weekend time to go to the farm! We used to go to Homestead Farms in Poolesville, very low key. Or Larriland Farms in Woodbine, the place we always went to when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin! I didn't realize they don't have that stuff down in SC. Homestead Farms is awesome. It's just a little too far away now :(. I haven't been to Larriland Farms, but we'll have to make a trip. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS