Pages

Pumpkin Decorating {Little Ones Learning}

Monday, October 21, 2013

It's about that time to start decorating pumpkins for Halloween!  Our pumpkins have been a part of our fall front porch decor for the last couple of weeks, and as we near Halloween, I've been trying to figure out what we are going to do with them!  My 4 year old is eager to carve her first pumpkin, which we will, but I also wanted to come up with something hands-on for her and my 1 1/2 year old.  In previous years, Grace has decorated pumpkins with permanent markers, which is relatively clean and easy, but I wanted to try something new this year.  So here are a few cool ideas I found:



Stickers

Dot Stickers Pumpkins
Dot Sticker Pumpkins
Putti's World
I can't believe I hadn't thought of this myself!  It is so simple, and what parent doesn't have stickers laying around?  Using stickers would be a good fine motor activity for toddlers and preschoolers, and is about as clean as it gets.  Foam stickers would work great too!

Glitter and gems


Sparkly Pumpkins
The Imagination Tree
So this one is a little higher on the messy index, but it sure is adorable!  This example uses glitter and sequence, but you could also just use glue and tissue paper, shapes, or Halloween pictures (or pictures of anything, really).

Leaves

Leaf Covered Pumpkins
Positive Parenting Connection
I think this one is my favorite, and I will definitely be doing this to one of the many pumpkins we've collected this year.  Simply glue leaves that you've collected onto your pumpkin and coat with Mod Podge.  How cute would this be as a Thanksgiving decoration or centerpiece?!

Pins and Buttons


easy halloween craft
Pin and Pound Pumpkins
No Time for Flashcards
Pounding pins (or nails) and buttons into a pumpkin is a clever way of creating a unique pumpkin decoration with some good old-fashioned gross motor skills practice.  This would probably be best for preschoolers, as they won't be as tempted to eat the pins, nails, or buttons or smack someone with the hammer.  If not for decorating, hammering in some pins and buttons sure would be fun before you throw out your pumpkin.

Paint

Painted Pumpkins
Young House Love

This is such a cute take on your typical pumpkin painting.  Use painter's tape to create a face, shapes, or designs on a pumpkin.  Then, let your little one paint away.  When dry, simply take off the painter's tape, and your design will be revealed.  So cute!

I hope you find these inspiring, like I do!  Happy pumpkin decorating!
- Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS