Veterans Day is this Monday, and what better time to show thanks to those who have given so much?
Ways to show gratitude
Military.com has a comprehensive list of ideas and organizations for supporting our troops and veterans. There are so many to choose from, that you should be able to find the right fit for your family.
Here are a few ways you and your children can show your appreciation to our servicemen and women:
- Have your little ones draw pictures and write a letter or note to go with it. For young children who can't write yet, simply write his ideas word for word for him.
- Check out AnySoldier.com and collect and donate items requested by men and women currently serving abroad.
- Collect or raise money to donate to one of the many organizations that help vets and service members.
- If you know someone personally who has served in our country's military, write a thank you note with your child, and bake a treat or make a gift for him or her.
- Remember service members' families. If you know any, give them a gift, offer babysitting, or simply write a note of gratitude.
Learn About and Celebrate Veterans Day
- Visit VA Kids (Veterans Affairs) and play the games and learn about this important holiday.
- Explain the holiday using the article Veterans Day Facts and Trivia for Kids
- Make a patriotic craft or color an American flag. Here are a few ideas from Enchanted Learning (These could be gifts too!)
- Read picture books about Veterans Day.
- Read a poem, like Veterans Day by Cheryl Dyson.
- Listen to the beautiful song Thank You Soldiers
- Say prayers for those serving our country.
|from VA Kids|
I hope that your family has a blessed Veterans Day!